Articles and resources about trends and issues in identity management in government.
Jump to: External Links Related Categories
- OASIS Members Form Committee to Advance Identity Standards for Cloud Computing
- Boston, May 19, 2010 - Business Wire - "The international consortium, OASIS, has formed a new group to address the serious security challenges posed by identity management in cloud computing. The new OASIS Identity in the Cloud (IDCloud) Technical Committee will identify gaps in existing identity management standards and investigate the need for profiles to achieve interoperability within current standards. Committee members will perform risk and threat analyses on collected use cases and produce guidelines for mitigating vulnerabilities..."
Added: 20 May 2010; Page views: 759 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- OASIS IDCloud TC
- "The OASIS IDCloud TC works to address the serious security challenges posed by identity management in cloud computing. The TC identifies gaps in existing identity management standards and investigates the need for profiles to achieve interoperability within current standards. It performs risk and threat analyses on collected use cases and produces guidelines for mitigating vulnerabilities..."
Added: 20 May 2010; Page views: 674 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- U.S., Canada will share refugee fingerprints
- CBC News, Tuesday, November 24, 2009. "The United States says it will join Canada, Australia and Britain in sharing fingerprints and other data to help authorities discern people's true identities in cracking down on asylum shopping and unlawful immigration. The program would allow governments to ferret out fraudulent refugee claimants by using fingerprinting and other methods to get details about identity, nationality, travel and immigration history..."
Added: 26 November 2009; Page views: 1,522 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Identity management a complex process with a simple goal
- By Drew Robb. Government Computer News, September 11, 2009. "Identity management and access control systems have a simple purpose: ensure that users can access only the data and applications they need. However, getting to that point is not so simple..."
Added: 16 September 2009; Page views: 726 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- 12 questions to ask before implementing an identity management system
- Government Computer News, September 11, 2009. "Here are 12 questions to ask before implementing an identity management and access control system..."
Added: 16 September 2009; Page views: 718 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Google To Announce Major Identity Initiative for 1 Million+ Companies and Schools
- Written by Marshall Kirkpatrick. Read Write Web, July 8, 2009. "Google plans to announce in coming weeks that it is turning each of the one million plus Google Apps customer domains into an OpenID provider, enabling millions of people to log in to OpenID-supporting websites with their work, school or organization ID..."
Added: 9 July 2009; Page views: 770 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- New organization to address interoperability between social media, ID management
- Kantara Initiative includes some 45 industry groups, companies, By William Jackson. Federal Computer Week, June 22, 2009. "The Kantara Initiative, an umbrella organization formed to address interoperability issues in identity management products and schemes, was launched last week by more than 45 companies and other industry organizations..."
Added: 25 June 2009; Page views: 910 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Stephen Coggeshall: Behavioral analytics could extend identity management security
- Government Computer News, March 19, 2009. "The traditional tools of identity management — user names, passwords, ID cards and biometric information — can fall short of ensuring that people are who they say they are. Behavioral analytics and, more recently, trusted reference networks are now widely used in the financial industry as a third tool for managing information access..."
Added: 23 March 2009; Page views: 1,060 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- The identity management catch-22
- By Robin Hicks. FutureGov, 16 March 2009. "FutureGov's research arm has identified 'ID Management' as one of the top three priorities for the public sector in 2009..."
Added: 19 March 2009; Page views: 1,013 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- The keys to authentication
- Coalition's new research center to focus on the challenges of identity management, By William Jackson. Government Computer News, 17 November 2008. "Identity management is the crucial element — and in many ways the missing link — in Web-based services. A coalition of public, private, academic and commercial organizations is addressing the problem by creating a group with the goal of identifying gaps in identity management solutions and driving research to fill them..."
Added: 19 November 2008; Page views: 1,834 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Identity Management
- By Jill R. Aitoro. NextGov, 27 September 2008. "What Is It? One way to think about identity management is by imagining an enormous blueprint of an office building. It shows the rooms into which each person who works in the building can enter. The blueprint also shows what kind of key each person would need to open the door to get into that room, and what that person can do once they are there..."
Added: 8 October 2008; Page views: 1,663 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- At A Crossroads: 'Personhood' and Digital Identity in the Information Society - in word format (532kb)
(This document requires the use of Microsoft Word Reader). OECD Directorate for Science, Technology and Industry, 29 February 2008. STI Working Paper 2007/7 - Information and Communication Technologies. "The paper discusses the relationship between the development of digital identity management and the concept of personhood, and the broader links to trust in the information society. It concludes that more investigation is needed to address gaps in international data protection in light of the emergent identity infrastructure..."
Added: 20 March 2008; Page views: 1,331 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Shared identities
- By Maggie Biggs. Government Computer News, 17 March 2008. "Overlapping identity management systems can be as much of a pain to users - and ultimately to systems administrators — as multiple passwords. Agencies that maintain multiple user repositories or whose processes cross more than one security domain should consider implementing federated identity management to reduce administrative overhead and costs while increasing security and simplifying the user’s experience..."
Added: 19 March 2008; Page views: 1,166 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Identity parade
- From The Economist print edition, February 14, 2008. "It's best for governments not to know too much... The hard lesson for governments is that citizens will adopt technology when it is both optional and beneficial to them, but resist it strenuously when it is compulsory, no matter how sensible it may seem..."
Added: 20 February 2008; Page views: 2,263 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
- Use of Long Range RFID's in Passports Bad News for Privacy, Says Smart Card Alliance
- Government Technology, October 20, 2006. "Using the long read range radio frequency identification (RFID) technology the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and State Department are proposing for passport cards will do little to increase the security of the nation's borders, and opens up possibilities that U.S. citizens could be tracked, the Smart Card Alliance said Thursday. The Alliance contends that a more privacy sensitive and secure passport card solution using the same contactless smart card technology found in the new electronic passports (ePassports) can improve border security without causing delays at crossings..."
Added: 24 October 2006; Page views: 3,095 Rating: 0 Votes: 0
This category last updated: 7 May 2010inShare